Tuesday, September 28, 2010

domestiKatie's Gratefuls.

Ever since we moved from NYC to West Virginia, sleep has been eluding my grasp. I put off going to bed as long as possible so I'll be EXHAUSTED when I finally lay down in the darkness and silence and won't have to go listen to the endless negativity that loops through my mind the second my defenses are down.
After yesterday's emotional day, I was actually tired at a decent time so I joined Husbear in bed as he read, and was prepared to fall asleep almost immediately. Problem is, I took Midol right before crawling under the covers. What does Midol have? Caffeine. I panicked that I was in for another long night, and I have a job interview today and did not want to be a weary mess. Thankfully, I fell asleep pretty quickly but endured a night of fitful dreams. Every dream I had was a nightmare. The one I remember most vividly was the one about riding an elevator that suddenly went rogue and was plummeting towards the bottom of a skyscraper at record speeds, and I couldn't stop thinking "This is going to hurt so bad when we land. Oh my gosh this is going to hurt." And I woke up before we hit the ground. Yeah, that one was scary. I have a feeling that one was due to my powerlessness in our current situation.
ANYWAY.
I did find a way to get to sleep on the days I'm not lucky enough to drift off quickly, and it's one that gets better even if it's hours before sleep comes.
I list the ways in which I have been blessed. And when I'm jealous of others, I list the things in my life I wouldn't trade for anything in theirs. This works, because the longer I stay awake, the more grateful I become. The more secure I feel. The more I realize all the things I tend to take for granted. Just because I don't have every piece of the puzzle in place does not mean I don't have a beautiful life.
So, I'm going to make a grateful list here, and I challenge you to do the same.

domestiKatie's Gratefuls:

-a Husbear who dotes on me, respects me, and cherishes every moment with me. he chose to go to medical school so that he could give me my dream of staying home with our future family. he always does what is best for us. he makes dinner when i don't feel like it, even though he works all day and i do not. he loads the dishwasher when i don't feel like it even though he works all day and i do not. he almost never says no to me. he loves me madly, and i love him.
-a beautiful house that i have nested in thoroughly. all we wanted in nyc was a backyard, and when we got here we found a place with 3 bedrooms and a fenced in yard on a quiet street with sweet neighbors. this home suits us perfectly.
-a new town that has welcomed us with open arms. we have so many friends here already. our weekends are filled with family dinners and movie nights and outings to the pub. there are wives here who are going through what i'm going through, and students who call me for haircuts, and every single person we met has been warm and kind and overflowing with hospitality. our dance card is as full as our hearts.
-a family who would give their left AND right arms to help us. if ever there was anything we needed, our families would drop everything and be at our side, no matter what state we live in, no matter how long the flight or the drive. we have an excellent support system in place, and that is so rare these days.
-two hilarious dogs who worship the ground we walk on. they literally kiss our feet. endlessly. charlie sleeps between husbear and me, with his head on the pillow, his back snuggled into my tummy. he's my constant little spoon. have i mentioned he weighs near 70 pounds? steve sleeps at our feet, ready to protect us from the night. those dogs embody unconditional love.

See? I have a lot to be happy about. I'm going to try to meditate on those when my spirit is weak. I bet it does wonders for my achey soul.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a job interview to get ready for. I was offered a part-time position at the beautiful clothing and home goods boutique in town. I swear, this place is tiny anthropologie. I am stoked. What am I going to wear?!

STATS:
-CD28, 15DPO
-Waiting on AF, due today.

4 comments:

  1. where did you live in NYC? My hubby and I go to NYC at least once a year! We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck at your interview, I am sure they will looooove you. And all your clothes are cute, anything will work I am sure! I do not know how you candle the dogs being on the bed with you. I couldn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy- We lived in Bed Stuy, in Brooklyn! Not the greatest neighborhood, but access to everything wonderful without the price, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. I need to read this today!

    ReplyDelete

Show some love: